Hay House Nursing Home (Devon)
RHI Payments and Fuel Cost Savings Underpin Care Home's High Levels of Quality Care
Hay House is a family-owned and run nursing home specialising in the care of people with dementia and other mental health conditions.
Resident comfort is a priority for the owners, who were experiencing large heating bills from the three old and inefficient oil boilers they were using to heat this Grade II listed building.
In partnership with Rainbow Heat and Power, we won a competitive tender for the supply and installation of an SL 150kW Linder & Sommerauer Biomass boiler which will run on EN Plus grade wood pellets.
Two 2,000 litre buffer stores, all associated fitting accessories and a wood pellet fuel suction system were also included.
As part of the project, we also managed Hay House’s RHI application.
Complete Biomass District Heating Package
Wye Valley Energy installed the boiler, fuel delivery system and buffer tank in the plantroom as well as the heat main to the main house.
Summary of Project
- 150kW Lindner & Sommerauer SL series wood pellet boiler.
- Fully automated wood pellet fuel delivery system.
- 2 x 2,000 litre buffer tanks.
- 18m of underground heat main.
- Class A self modulating system pump.
- Runs on wood pellets.
- RHI eligible ultrasonic heat meters complete with certification.
- 150kW Consumer Interface Unit fitted into main building.
- Biomass boiler linked to wet system in main house.
- High efficiency, low energy main system pump.
- Full assistance with RHI application including schematic drawings.
- Bespoke boiler house construction.
- Commissioning, programming and end user training.
- Fuel Consumption: 48 tonnes of wood pellets, per annum.
- Biomass Fuel Cost Saving: 20 to 40% (wood pellets, compared to heating oil; Source, Biomass Energy Centre).
- CO2 Reduced: Up to 96% or 66 tonnes, per annum versus heating oil.
- RHI Accredited: The project is accredited into the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) and is now receiving payments.
- Financial Benefit: RHI payments and fuel cost savings make the project both sustainable and financially viable; a project of this size would gain an average of £17,345 every year for 20 years, index linked to inflation.
- Total Project Price: £105,000.
- Payback Period: 4-5 years (combining RHI income & fuel cost saving).
RHI Payments, Fuel Cost Savings and Payback Period
A 150kW project of this size would expect to receive Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) Payments of £17,345 or more a year and to gain a fuel cost saving versus oil of 50% or £3,500 or more per annum.
The fuel cost savings and RHI payments combined will deliver a payback on the capital cost of the equipment in 4-5 years. in addition, some 60 tonnes of CO2 per annum will be saved.