Pitt Farm Cottages
Holiday accommodation business keeps running costs under control with a biomass boiler
A charming group of barn conversions, Pitt Farm Cottages is located in the picturesque coastal village of Branscombe in Devon. It is the idyllic location to enjoy a self catering holiday in an area known for its outstanding natural beauty. Our clients were keen to utilise both RHI payments as well as fuel cost savings as a result of conversion to help improve their profitability. One of the key future requirements was the easy billing of their tenants.
Pitt Farm Cottages was keen to convert their system of heating oil to a reliable technology that will offer long term fuel cost savings whilst being able to reap the rewards of RHI payments. The owners at Pitt Farm Cottages were keen to replace their heating system to one that runs on wood chips.
The client wanted to use the fuel cost savings and RHI payments to help improve their profitability. A key future requirement was the easy billing of tenants.
Complete Biomass District Heating Package
Wye Valley Energy installed the boiler, fuel delivery system and buffer tank in the plantroom as well as the heat main to connect all of the buildings included in the district scheme.
Consumer interface Units (CIUs) were fitted into each property, giving all of the controls such as timers, thermostats and RHI complilant heat meters in a single package. As there is no combustion occurring at the point of use, the CIUs do not need an annual safety check. The heat meter included in each forms the basis of easy client billing.
- 100kW Guntamatic Powerchip biomass boiler heating system.
- Fully automated wood chip fuel delivery system.
- 3,000 litre buffer tank.
- 70m of underground heat main.
- Class A self modulating system pump.
- RHI eligible ultrasonic heat meters complete with certification.
- Consumer Interface Unit fitted into each building in the district scheme.
- Biomass boiler linked to existing heating and hot water system.
- High efficiency, low energy main system pump.
- Full assistance with RHI application including schematic drawings.
- Bespoke boiler house construction.
- Commissioning, programming and end user training.
- Project Included: Guntamatic Powerchip 100kW multifuel biomass boiler. Flues, thermal stores and distribution pipework including internal connections to heat exchangers also included.
- Fuel Consumption: 37 tonnes of wood chips, per annum.
- Fuel Cost Saving: Wood chips 50-80% vs oil (Source; Biomass Energy Centre).
- C02 Saving: Up to 96% or 44 tonnes vs heating oil (Source; Biomass Energy Centre).
- RHI Payments: A project of this size would gain an average of £11,038 every year for 20 years, index linked to inflation.
- Total Project Price: £85,000.
- Payback Period: 5-6 years (combining RHI income & fuel cost saving).
Renewable Heat Incentive
A 100kW project of this size would expect to receive Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) Payments of £11,038 or more a year and to gain a fuel cost saving versus oil of 50%-80%.
The fuel cost savings and RHI payments combined will deliver a payback on the capital cost of the equipment in 5-6 years.